Fuel Control Actuator or Fuel Pressure Regulator
WHAT DOES A FCA DO?
The Fuel Control Actuator (FCA) or Fuel Pressure Regulator is an electronically controlled solenoid valve. The ECM controls the amount of fuel that enters the high-pressure pumping chambers by opening and closing the FCA based on a demanded fuel pressure. When the FCA is opened, the maximum amount of fuel is being supplied to the fuel injection pump. Any fuel that does not enter the injection pump is directed to the overflow valve. The overflow valve regulates how much excess fuel is used for lubrication of the pump and how much is returned to the fuel tank through the drain manifold. An audible click from the FCA is normal when operating the key to either the ON or OFF positions. Shop Bosch Brand for Fuel Control Actuator
REMOVAL OF THE FCA
The Fuel Control Actuator is located at the rear of the high-pressure, fuel injection pump (Fig. 13).
1. Clean FCA mounting area at rear of fuel injection pump with an evaporative-type cleaner.
2. Disconnect electrical connector at FCA.
3. There are 3 FCA mounting bolts that you will have to remove. The 3 mounting bolts are T25 Torx and likely they were installed using a dab of Loctite at the factory. Or, perhaps, the clear coat paint makes the 3 T25 Torx difficult to remove and/or round out the Torx head. Be forewarned. Some mechanics like to use a “tap” on the ratchet, some like to use a slow and steady torque and others like to heat the bolts with a small flame to loosen them up.
4. Remove 3 FCA mounting bolts.
5. Remove FCA from injection pump.
INSTALLATION OF THE FCA
1. Install new O-rings to the Fuel Control Actuator (FCA).
2. Lubricate O-rings with clean, light grease.
3. Using the supplied 5/32” Allen head mounting bolts*, install FCA into injection pump. Tighten the bolts in two stages. First to 3 N·m (27 in.-lbs.), and then to 7 N·m (62 in.-lbs.) torque.
4. Ensure FCA is mounted flush to injection pump.
5. Connect electrical connector to FCA.
6. Start engine and observe for leaks.
© 2023 Copyright Gillett Diesel Service Inc. infused with wisdom. the wize.works framework.